Thursday, November 14, 2013

Just Like Your Father

Like most people, I tend to cringe when I am told that I am acting like my father. I am sure most women hate it when they hear that they are acting like their mother. What is it about our parents that makes us feel that way? I love my father and consider him a hero. Why wouldn't I want to be like my father or act like him? Why would I cringe when being told that I am acting like my father? I should be proud to be told that I am acting like my father.

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi starts his story out by saying that he is born of goodly parents and that he was taught by his father. I, like Nephi, feel I am born of good parents (1 Nephi 1:1). My father taught me to work hard and be a good man, a good husband and a good father.

I am sure the reason we cringe when we are told we are acting like our father or mother is because of the possible quirks that they may have. When I speak, I use my hands a lot. So does my father. When I want to make a strong statement, I always end it by saying: Period! So does my father.

I wonder if Lehi had any quirks that Nephi emulated that made him "act like his father". I wonder if Laman and Lemuel tried to steer away from doing anything like their father. Hmmmm.

The more I think about it, the more I want to be less reactive when being told I am acting like my father. He is an honorable man. He has worked hard. Has a great family. He has many stories. I should be and am honored to be acting like my father. Quirks aside, I hope to act like him.

Come to think of it, the greatest example of this is our Savior, Jesus Christ. He was 'acting like His father'. Our Heavenly Father is who we should be acting like and emulating. The scriptures tell us to be like Him (Matthew 5:48). Hmmmm. That's the Father I want to be told I am acting like.

So think about it....

The Journey Matters

No comments: